I see two types of idolatry:
1. Treat something else like God.
- Faith – place our confidence or trust in something else to do what only God can do or has promised to do.
- Love – offer our service or devotion (time, energy, work, sacrifice) to some group, principle, practice, or ideal.
2. Treat God like something else.
- Narcissism – turn God into a bigger version of us: looks like us, inhabits our territory, stands for our ideas or ideals, etc.
- Magic – turn God into a means to get us what we want: power, security, food, pleasure, comfort, wealth, image, success, wisdom, etc.